Thursday, February 26, 2009

Some things we take for granted

The jam in the morning from my house at Sunway Damansara to KLCC is horrendous. Our typical route would be the Jalan Duta and Jalan Kuching and then onto Jalan Tun Razak. But lately, the jam has been too terribly and I could be stuck at Jalan Duta itself for 15 minutes! So we take the Sentul way.

At Sentul, there is also a heavy traffic, but not as bad as my other usual way. Last week, as I was crawling in the jam at Sentul, near the church (I don't remember what its called), there was a disabled man on an electric wheel chair moving on the road, but as close to the curb as possible. We realised that the curb was too high for him to get his electric wheel chair up to the side walk! So the poor man tries to as much as he can to stay as close to the curb as possible, whirring slowly on his electric wheel chair, while cars, thankfully were crawling in the jam and was not that fast.

And then this week, I spotted him again! He was struggling to get up on the sidewalk, but couldn't! In the end he gave up and swirled onto the road and I just missed hitting him! My heart skipped a beat and I almost cried with sympathy as he must have been frustrated with what he has to go through everyday. He probably was trying to get to work.

Really, our country does very little to accommodate for the disabled. There are very few facilities that makes it easier for the disabled to be independent. Sure we have disabled toilets, carparks..... and thats it really. 

We take things for granted because we are able to do just about everything, as we are physically able to. One can only really appreciate it when we can't do what was most easy to us right now. I remember when I had my back surgery, I could not do simple things go to the bathroom, get in and out of the car, pick up things from the floor, play with my cats, sit crossed legged on the floor. It was really terrible. It was then I realised that we take our good health for granted or if anything, we abuse it by not taking care of ourselves properly.

I hope that poor man finds a safer way to get to work. I felt like jumping out of my car to help him, but could not as I was alone in the car and right in the middle of traffic.

No comments: