Thursday, November 18, 2010

Annabel Karmel recipes for babies


I finally got my copy of this! It has been out of stock in so many bookstores in Petaling Jaya and I finally found one at MPH Great Eastern Mall, Kuala Lumpur.

All this while I've been getting her basic recipes from her website, but her book of course has more! Her website has simple and no brainer recipes such as baby's first foods eg apple puree, carrot puree etc. Sounds simple enough to puree apples and carrots but for a first time mum, this dumb dumb was going to puree RAW apples. OK, carrots I know you need to cook it somehow, but I had no clue that you had to cook the fruits first. Luckily a caring friend called me to check if I what I was doing with his purees! Thank god for great girl friends! She also has more interesting ones like purees with fish, chicken and pastas, but I have not tried these yet.

I get so excited giving Ayden nutritious food, knowing that he will grow and develop well with all those good vitamins and minerals he's getting.

For fruits, right now Ayden is getting: Apple, pears, mango, papaya, banana, strawberries. I puree and freeze them in ice cube trays and then mix 2 or 3 of these when I am about to feed him. He usually gets fruits mixed with milk and cereal for breakfast, or just fruits.

For veg, Ayden's been getting: Carrots, sweet potato (the Japanese ones are so YUMMY!) spinach, butternut pumpkin (in Malaysia we call it butternut pumpkin where else elsewhere in the world I believe its butternut squash), broccoli, cauliflower and potatoes. I steam or poach them with very small amounts of water and puree them until smooth. I store them individually in ice-cube trays and mixed them when we are about to feed him. I'd combine 2 or three of the above for variety. In general Ayden (or most babies I guess) does not like green veg, so I would hide them in tastier veg like sweet potatoes. After the pureed fruit or veg are frozen, I transfer them into a Lock and Lock container.

Annabel's recipes would recommend pureeing 2 or more fruit or veg together but I choose to puree them individually and mix them later so I get the flexibility of having more varieties of different food mixes.

I make Ayden's purees about once every 2 or 3 weeks. I avoid having too much stocks and make sure he finish what I've frozen within 3 weeks, although frozen purees apparently lasts a month in the freezer.

As Ayden is turning 8 months soon, I look forward to introducing lumpier foods. Rice is our staple food in Malaysia so I've only recently started Ayden on rice porridge. Typically we make them with anchovy stock and add fish as the porridge is about to be cooked. I add the pureed veg and mix the different vegs for variety. He seem to like it! No objections so far. I make the porridge from organic rice, which is still far cheaper than the organic cereal I buy!

Most of Ayden's veg are organic, which costs an arm and a leg in Malaysian supermarkets. There are not many choices for organic fruits, so I get non organic but I make sure I peel off the skins before cooking and pureeing.

I don't really enjoy cooking for myself, I never thought that cooking for Ayden would be so much fun!

No comments: